Veteran Information

This page contains information that pertains to our Veterans. if you have any information you think would be pertinent for our Veterans please forward the information to the NCR Vice President.

Military Buy Back Information

The Military Buy Back Program allows you to "buy" your Military service time from the Department of Defense, and have it credited to your retirement from the Department of Justice.  Payment to DOJ is interest free if paid in full during your first three years with that your are employed.


If deposits are made:

You will be credited for the number of years of military service (i.e. 12 years) toward the computation of your retirement annuity. This does not mean that you can deduct the number of years of military service from the 20 year retirement requirement and only work 8 years to retire. Therefore, for retirement annuity purposes, it will be treated as if you worked 32 years (20 years federal service (BOP) plus 12 years of military). The additional years of military service will in turn increase your retirement annuity.


For example:

If you would normally retire after 20 years of federal service you would draw 34% of your three (3) highest yearly earnings. Lets say you had 12 years of military service. You would then add 1% for each year of military service to the 34% which would now make your retirement 46% of your highest 3 years earnings. Sounds good, huh? In other words if you were to buy back your military time you would draw an additional 12% towards your retirement.


If deposits are not made:

You are credited for the years of federal service only, and your years of military service are not taken into account for your retirement annuity computation purposes. This may or may not apply to those employees who are in the CSRS retirement system. Contact your personnel office for more information on the CSRS retirement plan. If you elect not to buy back your military time you would only be entitled to 34% annuity upon completion of 20 years of federal service.


What types of Military Service can a deposit be made?

Deposit may be made for active, honorable military service performance after December 31, 1956. A reservist ordered to active duty, active duty training, or annual active duty for training may be allowed credit for the duty period.

How are the payments made for the deposit?

Payments can be made as a lump sum or through bi-weekly payroll deductions. The minimum bi-weekly amount is $25. You can increase the bi-weekly amount or make a lump sum payment at any time.


How do I find out how much it will cost to buy back my military time?

Contact your personnel office and let them know you would like to buy back your military time. They will be able to tell you how much it will cost and set up a payment plan for you.


Attach DD 214 or equivalent and any available records of pay or promotions to the Request for Earnings during Military Service form provided by the civilian personnel office. Individuals that do not have a DD 214 or equivalent should get an SF 180 from the personnel office and have their service verified before forwarding the request form to the pay center. Form listed below.


Estimated Earnings During Military Service Form


Military Branch Offices to Mail or Fax Forms


If you have any further questions and need assistance please contact Ed Canales, CPL 33 Military Liaison. If you have any further questions or need assistance please do not hesitate to contact him by email at:


How to Contact Us:

Council Prison Locals 33 North Central Region 

Brian Mueller

NCR Vice President

(314) 503-5733


Tom Kamm

North Central Regional

Fair Practice Coordinator

(309) 370-4000




North Central

Legislative Coordinator




Congratulations Chris Janssen and Local 709 E-Board on their timely payment of overtime appeal decision!!


Congratulations to Dave Gardner and the Local 720 E-Board on their Sick Leave Abuse Letter arbitration victory!

Click to view Sick Leave Arbitration PDF File.

North Central Region CPL33

maintains a web Site

To serve you better.

For questions, comments or suggestions about the web page please contact the web page manager.

NCR-CPL33 does not necessairly agree with or adopt the content or opinion of any other web
site linked from, or identified in, this site.